tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 11:58:54 1996

tu'HomI'raH

tlhob peSHIr:

[Quoting [email protected]]
>  > Somebody asked what tu'HomIraH meant.

No, I didn't. I saw "tu'HomIraH, meaning T'oohomIrah" in HolQeD 5.1 and
asked what the <beep> a "T'oohomIrah" could be. So, the translation still
doen't make any sense to me. I guess it's such a word that never will
make sense. ;-)

<<<
The script for the Language Lab translates it as:
   T'oohomIrah (something useless)
(We know that the spelling of Klingon words in English is no guide to
anything, so we don't worry about the spelling "T'oohomIrah".) My guess
is that <tu'HomIraH> *means* "a useless thing". After all, it's in the
category of Cursing, which includes insults:

     "Get that piece of junk out of here!"
     <HurDaq tu'HomIraHvetlh yIlan!>

Compare the English word "good-for-nothing", rather old-fashioned
slang, a noun referring to a person, with accent on the first syllable [as
expected for an English noun made in this way].

So the English spelling "T'oohomIrah" is a <tu'HomIraH>.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

        Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
320 Nevada St. :  Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/

Back to archive top level