tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 29 09:52:15 1996

Re: Re: --no subject--

[email protected] writes:
>William Martin, petaQ SoH!  rep vItlhapmeH, ghItlhlI' vImughlI'!  vaj 'oH
>*SHEAKSPEAR* vItu'

SoHvaD qay''a' ngoDvam?  "Shakespeare" Dapar'a'?  bImugh 'e' Dapar'a'? :-)

This is a problem for you?  Don't you like Shakespeare?
Don't you like translating? :-)

Your second sentence has two main verbs in it; they need to be connected
with a verb conjunction.  {'ej} "and" goes between the verbs.  You also
left off a prefix on {ghItlhlI'} -- it should be the same one you used on
{vImughlI'}.

The phrasing in that sentence seems a little backwards to me.
"In order for me to take[*] an hour, I was writing and I was translating."
I think the purpose should be the writing and translating, not the taking.
I'd turn it around: {jIghItlhmeH 'ej jImughmeH, rep poQ Qu'}.
"In order for me to write and translate, the task required an hour."

It looks like you're using {vaj} to mean "then" as "after that happened".
It's supposed to mean something more like "because that happens".  There
isn't a translation of "then" indicating events coming later in time; if
that meaning is important, we have the verb suffixes {-pa'} "before" and
{-DI'} "when, as soon as".

I don't know why the word {'oH} is here.  What were you trying to say?