tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 10:15:37 1996

Re: Question

>>Point taken, but when presented with "A horse! A horse! my Kingdom for a
>>horse!"
>>it's hard not to say (preparing to duck because of my lossy Hol) sarq!
>>sarq! HInobchugh qoj vInobqang wo'wij!
>
>I can see how it would be hard not to say (not so hard for me because I'm
>so used to the phonology of Klingon); your point, too, is taken.

I'm thinking now that the word should be transliterated as "sargh" that
just feels better to me YMMV

>Now, on to the Klingon. :)
>
>"HInobchugh" doesn't really work... I can't see how you can combine a
>command with a condition (if give me! ?)  Probably "*sarq munobchugh

I think,upon reflection, that the conditional use of "nob" is quite unKlingon!

>vay' vaj..."  (I don't see what the "qoj" is doing there at all)

Well, since you are joing two verbs, then I felt you needed a conjunction

>You used -qang well, but your word-order is off.  The object of the
>sentence, "wo'wIj" needs to precede the verb: wo'wIj vInobqang.  It's hard
>to get that internalized, and a good use of -qang is something to be proud
>of.

Thanks!

>~mark

I've gotten some feedback, but the suggestions don't strike me as really
performable -"Damn it Jim!, I'm a performer not a linguist"
I'm trying to come up with a phrase that is ok grammatically, but also
understandable if spoken (also short enough to memorize!) My thinking on
performed tlhIngan Hol is that it should tend towards clipped Klingon. So
how about:
*sargh! *sargh! HInob vaj wo'wIj vInobqanq!

Back to archive top level