tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 07:16:00 1996

Re: KLI.ORG Questions

>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:19:28 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Jonathan M Donenberg)

>I have a few questions concerning KLI.ORG....

>1)If you sign up with this (tlhIngan Hol) mailing list, are you
>automatically a member of KLI.ORG? what types of things does KLI.ORG do?
>are there projects in the works and how can I get in on them? is KLI.ORG
>related to KLINGON.SUN.EAST.COM (or something like that) ?I'm pretty
>enthusiastic about this entire thing, and would appreciate any help that
>could be offered in this area.

I like the "1)" with no "2)" :)

There have been a few questions on similar subjects, let's see if I can
make sense of them.

The Klingon Language Institute (KLI) is a non-profit organization dedicated
to studying the Klingon language.  It is a group of people, and has
hundreds of members the world over.  To become a member of the KLI, you
must send in a membership fee to cover the costs of shipping you the KLI's
journal and the KLI's assorted expenses, etc.  (remember, it's a non-profit
organization, so it doesn't make money off of you as such).  The KLI
studies Klingon, publishes a quarterly journal (HolQeD) and occasional
other things (such as the literary supplement _jatmey_, the Suffix Guide,
and _Hamlet_).  It has secured a license from Paramount (after some
hassles) to use and study Klingon without their being mean to us.  And it
throws pretty cool conferences in the summer.  Information on joining the
KLI and other stuff it does and publishes can be found on our web site,
http://www.kli.org/.

KLI.org is a machine on the internet, owned and operated by
[email protected], who has graciously permitted the KLI to use it for
various purposes, including WWW, FTP storage, running a MUSH, and
maintaining this mailing list.  You can't be a "member" of the computer,
unless you are a SIMM chip or something (If you happen to be a SCSI tape
drive, in particular, we may have a place for you).

klingon.east.sun.com is the computer on which this mailing list used to
exist before we got KLI.org.  That list was maintained by Eli Israel, I
think.  The list has since moved to its present site on kli.org.

You do not have to be a member of the KLI to be subscribed to this mailing
list or to participate on it, though it's encouraged (since if you're
interested enough in tlhIngan Hol to read this list, you should be getting
all the info you can, and that means HolQeD, etc).  Subscribing to this
list doesn't make you a member of the KLI, it just puts you in contact with
some of the members of the KLI.  Many KLI members are not on this list,
and I'm sure some members of the list are not KLI members.  The list is a
service of the KLI to its members and to the larger community of those
interested in Klingon (which we can hope are *future* members of the KLI
:->).

Does that clear things up?

~mark

Back to archive top level