tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 21:44:11 1996

Re: vuvHa' and so on!

Kenneth Traft writes:
>Thanks for the feed back!  I'm loving it!!!

It's my job to help, but you're welcome.

>And even though my ego becomes a
>bit bruised I am thick skinned.
>
>vay'vaD  vuvHa'  vIHechbe'chu.
>
>Your consturction was much better.  I was trying to slide through a verb
>construction for an adjective (even though I know that Klingon HAS NO
>ADJECTIVES).

Check out TKD section 4.4 -- there is certainly a way to use verbs in an
adjectival sense.  There's no need to stretch beyond what we already know.

>The intent of my sentence was "I
>definitely intend not it be disrespect*FUL* to anyone."

Since there isn't a verb "be disrespectful", you'd be better off changing
your intent to use the available vocabulary and the verb "disrespect".

>poHvaD  Dochmey  puS  vIyu'.
>
>The "yu'" was indeed intentional.  This statement was in reference to
>something and I was interrogating in a way about the sentence.  My intent was
>"I will interrogate less things [sentences and words others write] with time."

I'm still very uncomfortable with the word "interrogate" here.  As I said
earlier, it seems to me to refer to the act of obtaining information from a
prisoner, or an informant, or maybe a computer database.  It looks like the
object of {yu'} should be the person or thing being interrogated, not the
information being requested or the question being asked.

> As is obvious from my other stuff -- I have a problem expressing the
>prepositional phrases using "with".  Someone told me once that "-vaD" could be
>used not only as "for" or "to", but also as with.

That "someone" was not quite correct.  There isn't a direct translation for
the word "with"; the usual practice is to turn the sentence around and use
{-meH} and {lo'}.  But you don't mean you want to use time to ask questions;
your "with time" is probably something like "as time goes on".  I'd translate
it as {qaStaHvIS poH} "while time occurs".

>tuqIchtaH chugh tuquvmoH neH

Watch out; {-chugh} is a suffix, and shouldn't be separated by a space.

>I look forward to the day I can start putting these things together without
>having to rack my brains out.

{bIqeqtaHchugh pawbej jajvetlh}  If you keep practicing, that day *will* come.

>How about a "-nes" for good measure  --  batlh Satlho'neS.  Or am I going from
>bad to worse!!!

Now you're just getting silly. :-)