tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 21:16:44 1996

Re: KLBC: *IRA*

ghItlh beHwI"av:
>*IRA*'e' DabuSDI
"As for the IRA, as soon as you concentrate on it..."  So far, so good
(except for the missing {'} at the end of {-DI'}).

>nuq DaQublu 'e'
"...what you are thought that?"  This doesn't work for a couple of reasons.
The pronoun {'e'} is always used as the object of a verb, never as the
subject (TKD 6.2.5).  Using the verb suffix {-lu'} means there isn't a
definite subject anyway, and the prefix {Da-} then means that "you" is the
object; {nuq} can't also fit in the object slot.

How about this: {nuq DaQub} "You think what?" or "What do you think?"

>DaHjaj jIQub <wa'leS rojmab lughItlhbej>
"Today, I think/thought 'They will certainly write a peace treaty tomorrow.'"
{Qub} needs the prefix {vI-} here.

>*Northern Ireland*Daq *IRA* luyotDI
"As soon as they invade the IRA in Northern Ireland..."  Okay so far
(except for the misspelled {-DI'} again).

>maj

"...fine."  Not quite fine.  I don't think a subordinate clause fits very
well attached to an exclamation; there probably should be a "real" verb here.

>tlhIngan HolwI' vIjatlh
"I speak my Klingon language."  This comes out much more awkward in
English than it is in Klingon; I understand it just fine.  Perhaps the
word {qeq} would work as well.