tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 19 23:14:52 1996

Re: I am new here

Perry Brulotte writes:
>I am new here also.  I have "dabbled" with tlhIngan-Hol for a while now, =
>but am far from good.  I will mostly be watching and learning.

Welcome, Perry.  There seem to be enough true newcomers here for me to do
my full introductory speech; if you've seen it already, you can ignore it.
I'm called ghunchu'wI', and I'm the list's current Beginners' Grammarian.
My job is specifically to help people who are beginning to learn to write
and/or speak tlhIngan Hol.

If you want feedback on what you have written, put KLBC (Klingon Language
Beginners' Conference) in the subject line of the message.  That tells me
that I should look at the message quickly.  I will be ready to assist you
with any questions you have, or to check your grammar, or simply to offer
my opinion on your writing.  The KLBC marker also indicates that the rest
of the people on the list ought not to jump in with their comments before
I have had a chance to give my response.

I do have a "real" job and a family besides this mailing list.  Please be
patient -- don't get upset if I haven't responded to your note in an hour
or two!  I will try to check my mail every evening, but I might go out of
town for the weekend, or I might have some extra schoolwork to do (yes, I
am also a student).  I might even take a real vacation, but I'll warn the
list first.

>My real name is Perry Brulotte and I would like to learn a proper =
>klingon translation for it.

If you really want to translate your name, you'll have to figure out what
it means and try to express that idea using Klingon.  If you just want to
spell it in Klingon letters, okay...but why bother?

>  My last name is pronounced JUST THE WAY IT =
>IS SPELLED, taking into account that it is french.  A phonetic spelling =
>of it would be something like "brew-lot".  Therefore I have come up with =
>the following klingon spelling:
>
>peri' vrulot

The Klingon letter {I} is usually a "short" vowel, as in "hit" or "miss".
I would have ended your first name with {Iy}, which rhymes with "me".
Assuming "brew-lot" rhymes with "do not", the second vowel sound is given
by the Klingon letter {a}.  You spelled it with an {o}, making it rhyme
with "boat".  The {vr} combination at the beginning of a syllable isn't
found in any Klingon words, but we don't normally care about grammar or
phonology when it comes to names.

I would transliterate "Perry Brew-lot" as {pe'rIy brulat}, and maybe put
in an extra {I} or {e} between the {b} and {r}.  But it's your name, not
mine, and its proper spelling is entirely up to *you*.