tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 19 04:56:09 1996

Re: ghoS or jaH with Go to Jail..?

voqHa'wI' theorizes:
>ghoS - used when moving in the general direction of something, and
>
>jaH  - used when going to fulfil a purpose, or because you were ordered.
>
>Does this sound feasible?  This means that Okrand's "go to jail" would be
>different, though, which would not really be nice.

The canon use of these words doesn't fit the way you suggest.  {ghoS} is
pretty obviously used when following a path or course or when identifying
a source or destination; {jaH} seems to refer to an event, not a location.
The Klingon Way, page 38: {may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'}
"When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends."
It's dangerous to generalize from a single example, but it might be valid
to translate {jaH} as "attend" in this sentence.

We do have to accept {bIghHa'Daq yIghoS} as *a* correct translation for
"go to jail", but it isn't necessarily the *best* translation.  For example,
"I am lost" is given as the convoluted {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} in the
appendix, but in CK it's something like {DaqwIj vISovbe'}.