tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 19 03:51:35 1996

Re: ghoS or jaH with Go to Jail..?

>In TKD page 171 we can read:
>
>bIghHa'Daq yIghoS - Go to jail
>
>I was making the sentence: s/he/it is going to jail
>I have a question: must I use the ghoS - approach, proceed or can i use
>the verb jaH - go.
>
>Are they related in the same way that "the" is when you
>for example are talking about school as a building or a place
>where you learn to read and write?
>
>Let me explain further:
>I'm going to [the] school. I'm going to the school.
>In the first sentence it is implied that I'm a student,
>true, one can use "the" in this sentence. The institution.
>
>In the second sentence it could be a parent
>going to a PTA meeting. The building.
>
>Are ghoS and jaH like that? Does ghoS mean that your approaching an
>institution or something with a specific meaning and is jaH just go in
>general?

I agree that {jaH} is "go" in general.  To me, it often connotes that the
action is away from the speaker.  If the Object position Noun is suffixed
with {-vo'}, there is no question the action is away from the Subject.  OTOH,
I would substitute "approaches" when translating {ghoS} just to see how
clearly the connotation is that the Subject gets nearer the Object.

peHruS (comments welcome from all)

Back to archive top level