tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 11:14:08 1996

Re[2]: missunderstandings

"klingon is a 'rude' language,"

This is not a justification for rudeness.

"Here, in Jamaica, many people speak a kind of patois which is also very rude."

But the people in Jamaica who speak it grew up in Jamaica.  They have an idea of
what to expect.  Newbies who come to the List in many cases don't have any ideas
what to expect.

"I have also found, in my learning of sign language that the deaf are very rude,
by these constructs, for a deaf person will sign to me, 'come, do, look' without
any please."

Is there a sign for Please.  I suspect so.  Remember to that the hands are not
as adept at forming words as the mouth is.  Allowances almost certainly must be
made for signing.

"so the prob. is that one is seeing everything from yankee coloured glasses."

No.  I am not seeing things from a Yankee perspective.  I am attempting to speak
from a compassionate perspective.  Rudeness without a _mutually_accepted_
contextual background is unkindness no matter who perpetuates it.

--bangteH.

Back to archive top level