tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 11 22:12:14 1996

Re: KLBC

Khan writes:
>Is KLBC the short-form of Klingon Language Beginners Course?

I've always said it stands for "Klingon Language Beginner's Conference".

>Can i transform tera`nganpong: Khan to tlhInganpong: qaan or
>better to q`aan.

We have *no* examples of adjacent vowels.  In fact, TKD goes to some
trouble to suggest that if the suffix {-oy} is placed on a noun that
ends with a vowel, an extra {'} is inserted to keep the vowels apart.
How would you pronounce {*qaan} differently from {qan}?  Apparently
there is no difference in meaning when a vowel is pronounced shorter
or longer (in time, not in pronunciation); Kruge said some very drawn
out vowels in Star Trek III.

We also have no canon examples of syllables beginning with a pair of
consonants.  {q'aan} is doubly weird; it certainly wouldn't sound at
all like "Khan" does.

If you want to transliterate "Khan", I suggest {qan} or maybe {Qan}.
{Han} could be okay, too.

After all that, I must say that we normally ignore the rules when it
comes to names.  If {q'aan} is how you want to be known, then we have
little reason to challenge you.  It would be nice if we knew how to
pronounce something nonobvious, though.

[By the way, your apostrophes are backwards.  It looks a bit strange, and
it doesn't sit well with my computerized Klingon grammar-checker.]