tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 03 21:07:33 1996

Re: Doubled glottal stops

In a message dated 96-06-03 10:02:42 EDT, Sa' qIQwI' wrote:

>>Apparently, Klingons do not pronounce doubled glottal stops twice.
>Okrand is no Klingon, he's just a American - you can't
>expect an American to handle glottal stops 100% correctly.
>
>Do as he *says*, not as he *does*... (c;

You can only expect *linguists* to handle glottal stops 100% correctly,
American or not.  And he *doesn't* say how to handle doubled glottal stops.
 If he did, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

>Finnish:  Ota aihe!  sounds like 'ota' 'ayhe'
>You can easily hear four glottal stops.

Finnish is not Klingon.  Just because it occurs in Finnish (and since I don't
speak Finnish, I'll just have to take your word for it) doesn't mean it
occurs in Klingon.

*America*ngan jIH 'ej *America*nganpu' DatIchpu'mo' ('ej *America*nganpu'
DatIchtaHqu'mo'), qaqIch!  pIj mapupHa'bej, 'ach Human maH neH.  qatlh
*America*nganpu' DamuStaH?  qatlh nIghIjtaH *America*nganpu'?

SuStel
Hovjaj 96424.1

Back to archive top level