tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 15 18:12:28 1996

KLBC: poHmey

Probably this has been asked before, but...

How does one tell time in Klingon?  I know that one of the tapes has some
examples, but they just confused me.  The tape has (as I recall) {javvatlh
rep} for "six a.m.", but also has {vagh rep} for "5 a.m.".  It also has
{cha'maH wa'vatlh rep} for "21:00 hours" (Ithink they had it wrong on the
tape and called it "noon"); and also {pagh rep} for "midnight".  But how
do you indicate minutes, for example, 21:34, or especially 00:05?

Also, how do you say "What time is it?" and what is the form of the answer?
Any concensus on these?

I ask because I found a program (while I was using my 10 free trial hours
on Compuserve) called KKLOCK, which provides an audible clock that calls
out the time in Klingon.  It's pretty fun, but unfortunately incorrect.
The voice just calls out the numbers ( 05:00 is {vagh pagh pagh}) and
only works on 12 hour time.  So I thought I'd write a little program to do
it right (text only, unfortunately; I'm not that good), but realized I
didn't know the right way.

Thanks for any guidance.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level