tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 11:37:41 1996

Re: jIrIQ

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996 05:52:32 -0800 Qorbeq
<[email protected]> wrote:

> wa'Hu' ghIchwIj mup lojmIt. mumermoH wanI'vam. jIqImbe'ba'.
> 'oy' 'Iw law' je vISIQpu'.
>
> DaHjaj ghIchwIj HabHa'. 'oy' mach vISIQ neH.
>
> yIn ghaj mumupbogh lojmIt. bortaS vInejlaHbe'.
>
> chay' batlhwIj vIleHlaH ? "proverb" vIjatlh'a' ?

ghIchwIj DabeQmoHchugh vaj ghIpDIj qanmo'.

This is the original proverb harkens back to the days when a
captain held door repair guys (the lowest rank in the military)
criminally responsible for their work, especially if they let
too much time pass between maintenance visits. This is actually
spoken to the door repair guy.

"If you (or your door) flatten my nose, then he (my captain)
will court marshal (you) because it (the door) is old." It later
generalized to be used as a threat against anyone who behaved in
a dishonerable way. While it was generalized, it was also
slightly mispronounced and devolved into:

ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh vaj ghIchlIj qanob.

> Qorbeq

charghwI'

Back to archive top level