tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 11:26:57 1996

ST5 Transcript: (was Re: KLBC: lut)

>> There are a couple examples, I think.  The one I remember is from Star
Trek V:
>> {HIvHe yIchoHmoH!} "Alter the attack course!"
>
>I heard that whole line as the single word {yIghoSchoH!} Were we
>watching the same movie? I transcribed this from my own
>videotape and I'm pretty sure this is correct. No {HIv} as noun.
>No {choH} as verb.
>
>> Of course, this sentence gets
>> into my belief that Okrand was using {HIv} as a noun (it's used again
this way
>> in what I believe is {chorghSaD qelI'qam HIv chuq'e' vInoH} "Estimating
attack
>> range in 8,000 kellicams").
>
>I heard that as:
>
>maHIvmeH chorghSaD qelIqam 'oH chuq vInoH.
>
>Where did you get your transcriptions? Is that really what you
>heard, or is that just what you translated for yourself? It is
>important. If you really think you are right, I'll go back and
>find the spot on the tape and transcribe it all over again so I
>can update the online word list, but I won't go to that effort
>based on this one message.
>
>Transcribing the movies is non-trivial. I can understand how we
>could come up with different transcriptions, but these two are
>so radically different, it makes me wonder.
>
>> SuStel
>
>charghwI'

You really didn't think I could stay out of a discussion about canon, did you?

As it happens, last month I retranscribed all the Klingon I could from ST3,
ST5 and ST6 from my own copies of the tapes. This was something I have been
wanting to do for some time now as I've noticed there seems to be some
variation among the various "transcriptions" of the movies cited on this
list. I listened to each line several times trying to determine exactly what
the actors are trying to say--as opposed to what we think they should be
saying based on the subtitles.

BTW, turn on your Closed Captions to pick up the occasional bit of
*captioned* Klingon in background or throwaway lines that are not given a
subtitle. Sometimes it helps (especially in ST6), though they seem to be
using a different transcription system for Klingon at times. (So what else
would you expect from Paramount?) Another informative source is the
novelizations, as they are frequently rendered from the earliest, most
complete version of the script.

Anyway, here is my freshly rendered version of that scene in ST5. The
subtitles are in quotes, and <angle brackets> indicate problematic or
inaudible lines (Klaa is quite soft spoken for a Klingon):

Vixis: chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq'e' vInoH
       "Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams."
Klaa:  HoS <bIrIHbeH>, cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong QIt yIghoS      (?!?)
       <HoSbe' rebegh>,   "     "      "      "    "    "       (heard)
       "Stealth approach, slow to one quarter impulse power."

I didn't hear Vixis say "maHIvmeH..." either. "HIvchuq" may be two words.
Does anyone have a better idea for what the mumbled line subtitled "Stealth
approach" is?

Klaa:  yISo'rup
       "Prepare to cloak."
       So'wI' yIchu'
       "Engage cloaking device."

Klaa:  qerq
       "Kirk."
       DujHomDaq ghaHtaH
       "He's on the shuttlecraft!"
       HIvHe yIchoHmoH
       "Alter the attack course!"

"HIvHe" may be two words (we really need to see Okrand's notes or a script).
Note "DujHom" and not "lupDujHom". (It's perfectly clear in context, but it
could be the actor's error or a truncated line.)

Klaa:  yISo'Ha'rup yIghuS
       "Stand by to de-cloak for firing."

Klaa:  'entepray' yIghoS
       "Bear on Enterprise."
Vixis: 'entepray' 'oH DoS'e'
       "Enterprise targeted!"

Klaa:  jIbaH
       "Firing!"

Klaa:  HeDaj yIqIm
       "Track her course!"

Klaa:  po'qu'
       "He's good."

This is a good opportunity for us to thrash out an agreed upon transcript
for our arguments from canon. (Short of anyone actually getting a copy of
the shooting scripts for the movies, that is, which I understand can now be
purchased. Does anyone out there have copies of these scripts?) The group
effort at puzzling out that untranslated scene at the beginning of Power
Klingon was quite productive and shows the advantage of several sets of ears
and points of view--not to mention different sound systems playing the same
tape (I don't have a stereo VCR).

Voragh

 Steven Boozer                 |
 Cataloging Department         |   "Saying, would know.
 University of Chicago Library |    Do not know, so cannot say."
 [email protected]   |                         -- Zathras

Back to archive top level