tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 30 01:34:31 1996

Re: KLBC - handle: <'uchmeHwI' > or <'uchmeHghach> ????

   Chet Braun <[email protected]> wrote;-
> Trying to find a way of saying 'handle'. I think TKD says that you can't
> turn a verb with a suffix, <'uchmeH> into a noun unless you use <-ghach>
> suffix. So instead of <'uchmeHwI'>, which should mean "thing for the purpose
> of holding", would <'uchmeHghach> convey the idea of a handle?  Of course
> they may already be a word for handle that I'm not aware of...

  {'uchmeHwI} and {'uchmeHghach} each have two class 9 verb suffixes, which is
illegal. If they mean anything, they mean "thing for the purpose of being a
holder" and "the condition of being for the purpose of holding". Best put on
the list for Okrand that we need a word for "handle".

Back to archive top level