tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 06:31:34 1996

Re: jIlIjlaw'...

ghItlhpu' ~mark:

> >I added the {-Hey} both because you can't be SURE what ~mark
> >knows,
>
> nuq vISov?  pIj jISovchu'be' jIH'e' je!

Ahem, errm, why'dya put the {je} there please ?

A little while ago I wrote something like

{ghItlhpu' je ~mark}

and asked

"Is {je} in the right place ?"

and you said (sorry to requote ...)

"Now this is an interesting one.  According to TKD, it goes where you put
it, after the verb.  And indeed, we've all been doing just that for just
the same reason.  And I believe it's right.  But I have a sort of hunch,
totally unsupported, that Okrand actually would have used "~mark je" and
wasn't thinking of it when he wrote the rule in TKD.  I'm not suggesting
ANYONE do that!  No, the TKD rule is what we should do and what we *do*
do.  I just hope we can make sure Okrand remembers that's what he wrote
before he gives us too many counterexamples! :)

A digression, and unsupported in fact or rumor.  Just something that I've
been pondering for a while.  Your usage is right."

Does the rule change because it's a pronoun ? Have I misread the sentence ?

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Rob

--

|      www.parallel.demon.co.uk      |          "Still a newbie!"          |