tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 06:53:26 1996

KLBC: {-vaD} (oh, and {vaj} too !)

HoD trI'Qal, qaH,

              ^
(errm, there isn't a word for "ma'am" by any chance, is there ?)

>From TKD page 180, the phrase

{yaSvaD taj nobpu' qama'}

means "The prisoner gave the officer the knife"
(or, presumably, "The prisoner gave the knife to the officer")

Does this mean that I could say

{puqvaD lutwIj vIja'pu'}

to mean "I told my story to the child" or "I told the child my story" ??

What REAL difference in meaning would occur if I used {-ta'} instead of
{-pu'} ? I know that it would mean that "I intended to tell the my story to
the child and I successfully did it" rather than a simple "I told it ..."
but in real terms, would there be any difference in the translation ?

I don't need to know any of this for any particular reason, I was just
pondering it in the bath the other night.

[ SuStel once told me something like {reH puchpa'Daq paw qechmey nIv} ]

And secondly, I was looking through the example phrases in the back of the
book and I happened across "Surrender or die!"

Whilst {bIjaghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh} makes perfect sense to me, it doesn't
mention anything about using {vaj} in a subordinate clause in the body of
the book.

Theoretically, you could also write the phrase as

{bIHegh bIjaghbe'chugh}

so that {vaj} wouldn't fit properly but the sentence would still make sense.
Can I assume that {vaj} is a "not necessary but do it if you like" thing or
does it only apply in "canon" sentences like the one above and most of the
time you WOULDN'T (shouldn't) use it ?

Also, would

{bIjagh pagh bIHegh}

be wrong ?

"Either you (will) surrender or you (will) die"

I suppose that it doesn't really get the "if" meaning across, does it ?

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Rob

--

|      www.parallel.demon.co.uk      |          "Still a newbie!"          |