tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 24 02:49:03 1996

Re: Khamlet vs Hamlet

> I recently received the book Hamlet, and upon reading Nick
> Nicholas' introduction, I got confused. The pIqaD used to
> spell the name is Hamlet...however Nick, in transliterating
> the name spells it Khamlet....What's the deal? In the TKD
> it says that the H is pronounced like ch in Bach...not
> Bawk, but Bah. Could it be that the mispronunciation of
> Bach could lead to a mistransliteration of the tlhIngan
> H into English?

No, in fact I've no idea what you're talking about.

The {H} is pronounced like ch in Bach, not Bawk (which sounds like "bork")
OR Bah ("baa"). I assume the last was a typo.

And who is mispronouncing Bach's name?  As far as I see, it's pronounced
similarly to {baH}. (If you have the tapes you'll know what the sounds sound
like).

Okrand transcribes the {H} as "kh" everywhere in the back of TKD also.

Qapla'
  / Daniel Peter Noll                     / [email protected]   /
 / Truth Seeker                          / http://mailhost.net/~fprefect /
/ batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu' / Finger for Geek Code          /

Back to archive top level