tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 31 20:03:45 1996

Re: KLBC

At 01:47 PM 8/26/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
[previous quoted removed]
>I've seen many people use {HI'Ij} for "listen to me," but I don't think
>that's right.  It means "listen me."  "Listen to me" would be {HIQoy}.

Unfortunately, you caught me on my disadvantage of not being here for a year.

I have seen you debates on this recently, and you have some very good
points.  If I had been a bit more onthe ball, I would have caught my error.
Thank you for catching it for me!  <HIQoy> is definately a better choice, if
just to avoid the issue, or take the "conservative" approach (which I try to
do, as BG).

Unfortunatelt, I vaguely remember (mis-remember?) someone pointing out canon
to the contrary in the past.  Considering how long ago my "past" is, I am
not terribly certain of it.  I am sure we didn't just arbitrarily start
using <qajatlh> for "I speak to you", and similar structures.

>From your conversations about verbs of saying (in another thread), though I
have to also wonder if our extention of this little "trick" to other verbs
isn't misplaced; it is entirely possible the original example of this was a
verb of saying.

I don't want to start a debate about this under KLBC; until the list seems
to come to a consensus on how this (indirect object without a direct
object?) should be structured, I will accept both flavours under KLBC (so if
you want to go any further with this, change the subject line. {{:) )

>SuStel
>Stardate 96650.7

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level