tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 13:24:39 1996

Re: British Klingon! (Interview with Okrand)

qaSDI' 96-08-22 17:50:11 EDT, jatlh qSeroHS:

> > > tach                    pub (n)
>  > I don't see this as any different from the given definition of
>  > "bar, saloon, cocktail lounge".
>
>  Well, I try to be careful about extrapolating other meanings not
>  given...but I guess this is another example of where we brits might use
>  another word from the Americans :)

The American idea (and words above) encompasses the British meaning of "pub";
in fact, the word is used in the US in roughly the same way, although
apparently with less frequency (at least, where I live).  An American might
have no problem with translating {tach} as "pub," but from what you say, a
Brit may not see {tach} as "bar."

What do you think of when you see "bar, saloon, cocktail lounge," as opposed
to "pub"?

SuStel
Stardate 96644.6

Back to archive top level