tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 18:05:12 1996

Klingon "raven" or "crow" was: Klingon dialects

On: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]> wrote:

>  (1) When some Starfleet man spelt the name {qoreQ} as `Korax', where did the
>`s' component of the `x' = `ks' come from? A likelier transcription would be
>"Korrekh" or the like, if {qoreQ} is what the Starfleet man heard. Either
>`Korax' is a classicalizing distortion after Greek `korax' = "raven, crow",
>biological name `Corvus corax' = "raven";

That way we have already two Klingon "ravens" or "crows". I don't know if it
has been mentioned here before but the word "gawron", "gowron", "gavron" or
"govron" in Slavic languages has exactly the meaning of "raven" or "crow".
Look at the picture on the page 12 of TKW if you don't believe me. :-)

If we are talking about names - I was long wondering how the typical
Polish girl name "Jadzia" came into Star Trek (not to mention how the
Americans try to pronounce it: In Polish it is pronounced {yahjah} and
is a diminutive for Jadwiga (Hedwig).
But this is a bit out of subject of tlhingan Hol.

macheq

macheq noychoH jemtoQ

Lasciate ogni speranza voi qu'entrate ...