tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 15:21:58 1996

Re: KLBC: Order of nouns about 'oH, etc

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, dpNoll wrote:
> But that would be saying "My name, not my parrot, not my spam, is Corey".
> Apologies for the silly example. To emphasize the actual name, which is
> really what the other person wants to know, you'd put the {-'e'} on that..
> {pongwIj'e' 'oH *Corey*'e'}

I prefer:  janSIy 'oH pongwIj'e'
I'm not convinced by the arguments I've seen so far, so I'll give you my
reasons.  Remember that these are my OPINIONS and you're welcome to your
opinions too.
1) I don't like to put {-'e'} on names or on {nuq} (the appropriate
   question to get my response would be {nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'})
2) I think that {Y 'oH X'e'} is a special use of both {'oH} and {-'e'}
   and I don't feel {-'e'} really holds the same meaning as in other
   sentences.
3) This version allows the answer (in this case, the name) to be the
   first word in the response.

janSIy

Back to archive top level