tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 15:55:17 1996

Re: More Word List Additions/Corrections

Thanks for the feedback. If you mail updates directly to me
rather than through the list, I'll get them a little faster.

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:28:36 -0700 Niall Hosking
<[email protected]> wrote:
> More corrections and
additions for Will Martin's wordlist (charghwI' is doing
> a *sterling* job though!)
>
> Additions
>
> nISwI' beH		disruptor rifle (n)
> nISwI' HIch		hand-held disruptor, disruptor pistol (n)
> (Both HolQeD v4 n3 p5 Skybox card S14)

Both are also easily understood with the existing
definitions of disruptor, rifle and handgun. If it makes
you happy, I'll add them all the same.

> vItlegh			proverb (n)

I need to get back to the source on that.

> peghmey vItlegh		secrecy proverb (n)
> quvqa'meH vItlegh	}
> qa'meH vItlegh		} replacement proverb (n)
> qa'meH			replacement (for something lost) (n)

Wait a minute. This looks like a rather presumptive
definition. {qa'meH} looks a whole lot like a verb. I need
to see the context in canon before I'll post this as one of
our common words, especially as a noun.

> lIw			replacement (temporary), stand-in, substitute
> 			(n)

Again, I'll have to see the original canon for context. I
do not intend to post words we can't be reasonably sure
about.

> (From HolQeD) v5 n1 p10)
>
> pe''egh			keep score (v) (lit. 'cut oneself') (TKW p135)
> regh			bleed (v) (TKW p131)
> qIvon			Klingon body part (unspecified) (n) (TKW p174)

I don't know how I missed these. I have them in my Pilot,
and I presume I have them in my AKD. I must have skimmed
past them when I made Exceptional Words.. I'll definitely
add these in.

> Corrections
>
> mellota'		Melota, Klingon operatic name (n) (given as {melota'})

I'll check and correct this.

> rura' pente'		as this is in the Appendix, I'm not sure why the
> 			'New Word List' contains it...

Like many words with expanded definitions, it is there
because someone with TKD would otherwise not have the
"frozen asteroid" reference given in TKW.

> qa'vIn			in HolQed v4 n2 (not HolQeD v4 n1)

I missed qa'vIn?

wejpuH.

I'm on it. It may be the weekend before I get these fixed,
and as yet I still don't have an account to directly change
the file (reminder to ~mark), so there may be a delay
between my correcting it and the file getting posted (after
the delay that will exist before I get to update the file).

Anyway, thanks for the editing. It is a big project, and so
far people have caught fewer of my errors than I've caught
of Okrand's, so I don't feel TOO bad.

> I look forward to further additions on future!
>
> (PS any chance of giving page references when HolQeD issues are being
> referenced?)

I'll try to work that in.

> qSeroHs
> --