tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 15:26:28 1996

Re: Esperanto

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:34:43 -0700 Tony Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

> <Esperanto> vIjatlhlaH jIH je.  <Esperanto> vIjatlh 'e' law' tlhIngan Hol
> vIjatlh 'e' puS.

Just because {law'/puS} is the only comparative grammatical
structure in Klingon, that doesn't mean that if you have a
comparison to make which does not fit the {law'/puS}
construction, there isn't an adequate way to recast it so
the meaning comes out clearly. Simply say:

*Esperanto* vIjatlhchu'. tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu'be'.

There are other combinations of {-bej} or {-law'} that
could be used to more perfectly suit the shade of meaning
you have to your degree of clarity or certainty that you
have with each of the languages, but if you don't like the
one I've chosen, you've just proven a point.

Klingon is clearer about degree of certainty than English
is, so why not use this strong tool in Klingon? If you
express the certainty you have with each language, the
comparison will be clear and you don't need a specific
comparative grammatical structure.

> (Okay, is there a way to make a phrase/sentence the subject of a verb?

No.

Next question.

> mu'tlheghvetlhDaq 'oH vIlo'nISbej!)

Don't attach yourself to one solution so strongly that you
falsely believe that if that solution does not work, there
is no solution. Usually when you believe this, the mistake
you make is that you are using the wrong tool.

"I can't get this bolt into this nut no matter HOW HARD I
KEEP HAMMERING IT! It must be a defective bolt!"

> TH

charghwI'

Back to archive top level