tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 14:35:24 1996

Re: Movie Klingon

qaSDI' 96-08-20 06:30:04 EDT, jatlh Daniel Peter Noll:

> Wouldn't {*Corey* 'oH pongwIj'e'}
>  be "My name, as opposed to something else, is Corey", whereas {pongwIj 'oH
>  *Corey*'e'} would be "My name is Corey (not something else)"?

Actually, TKD says that the subject, with the {-'e'} on it, is going to be
emphasized (or topicalized, TKD switches ideas), which gives {*Corey* 'oH
pongwIj'e'} a rough translation as "*As for my name, it is Corey."  If you
had {pongwIj 'oH *Corey*'e'}, it would read as "As for 'Corey,' it is my
name."

I would expect to see the first sentence in a case where someone was asking
what your name was.  The second I'd expect if, for example, someone saw a
Klingon paragraph, and saw a word he didn't recognize: "Corey."  He would ask
what that word means, and Corey would reply {pongwIj 'oH *Corey*'e'}.

I doubt that Klingons would really notice the difference.  Be aware that my
interpretation of TKD in this matter is a bit of opinion, not Okrandian
canon.  Okrand seems to be a bit freewheeling in this regard.

SuStel
Stardate 96638.9

Back to archive top level