tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 03:50:27 1996

Re: Movie Klingon

dpNoll wrote:
> Sheesh, here's the naming 'problem' again.  Wouldn't {*Corey* 'oH pongwIj'e'}
> be "My name, as opposed to something else, is Corey", whereas {pongwIj 'oH
> *Corey*'e'} would be "My name is Corey (not something else)"?
Isn't that precisely the distinction between the English "My name is
Corey"
and "Corey is my name", assuming no other spoken emphasis?  Klingon,
like English, seems to put predicate nominatives in the space usually
used
by objects, so word order counts.  {pongwIj 'oH *Corey*'e'} means "Corey
is
my name;" {*Corey* 'oH pongwIj'e'} means "My name is Corey"; neither one
seems
inappropriate to me.

-marqoS

Back to archive top level