tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 08:30:48 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 02:21:01 -0700
>From: "Kenneth Traft" <[email protected]>

I *really* don't think I want to be in this discussion.  We certainly DON'T
need gratuitous character-assassination on the list.

>----------

I think Will had some other meaning in mind, not just Glen running a
non-non-profit shop.  Will knows what he means better than I, though, since
I was never involved in any of the situations in question, so I'll let him
answer.

>>Glen simply made up new words whenever he wanted to. My favorite was his
>>collection of terms for extended family members.

>The made up words as you and others are so often point out are normally
>constructions of words which exist in the "canon".  He doesn't make a word,
>but uses word consturction to create the idea.  That is exactly what this list
>and the many contributers tell us to do.  I like his extended family member
>contructions.

>Aunt:  SoS be'nI'  (mother's sister)
>     vav be'nI'    (father's sister)

>Uncle: SoS loDnI'  (mother's brother)
>     vav loDnI'  (father's brother)

>Cousin:  vav loDnI' puq  (uncle's child)
>	vav be'nI' puq  (uncle's child)
>	SoS be'nI' puq (Aunt's child)
>	Sos loDnI' puq (Aunt's child)

>(a couple -  are there other specific one's that are offensive?)

Wait, we use the same constructions!  But I remember Glen's using
"be'nI''a'" for female cousin, "loDnI''a'" for male cousin, etc... THOSE I
think I would take exception to.

>The KLI uses the word <<pabpo'>> came about  I am not familiar with the
>where's or why, but it looks to me like a noun/verb construction.  I would
>think that <<pab po'wI'>> would be more appropiate.

Yep.  You have us there; that's a recognized wrongness.

>>While he was right about what had been common overuse of {-ghach}, he was far
>from >alone in that insight, and when he made that pronouncement, he used it
>as an >argument for using any verb as a noun whenever you wanted to. You seem
>to have >conveniently forgotten that part.

>You lost me here.  Sorry.

>You rewrite history. Glen's conclusion to that argument was that you could use
>any verb as a noun. This was NOT in line with Dr. Okrand's explanation.

>I don't think he was saying that!  The context was that if the original way
>the use of <-ghach> was argued for then it would follow.  His contention was
>always that <-ghach> was equatible to "-tion" or "-ness" only.  This always
>the way Glen explained it to me and used it when we talked about it after
>Captain Krankor's article came out in HolQeD.

Er, no.  Read Glen's article in HolQeD, and his letters to me.  He said
(correctly) that -ghach could only go on suffixed verbs, BUT WHAT'S MORE
that we could pretty freely use bare verbs as nouns, if they made sense.  I
know I had a problem with that last part.

I don't think I can answer more of this.

Try to keep this on the level, OK?

~mark

Back to archive top level