tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 19 11:58:55 1996

No Subject

ghItlh Eskil Heyn Olsen:

<<<<<<<<
I was trying to translate "This is the first time I see a ferengi",
and avoiding using "poH wa'DIch" after seeing the discussion. Came up
with {DaH verengan vIlegh 'e' qaSbe'pu'} hopefully meaning "Now I see
a ferengi, that has not happened before" (this ofcourse refers to the
salesman at the qep'a' with the band-aids {naghHom ram 'oH yabDaj}).

Try
	verengan vIleghbe'pu', 'ach DaH vIlegh

Your construction won't work because <'e'> doesn't work that way.
<'e'> can only be the object of a verb, not the subject. Your Klingon
sentence has <'e'> in object position (of <qaS>), but your English has it
as subject (of "happen"), and of these two only the English makes
sense: what's the subject of <qaS>?

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
=> KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html <=

Back to archive top level