tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 00:51:05 1996

Suffixes on relative clauses

  A.Appleyard wrote:-
> ... {... (lut legh 'e' Hech nuvpu''e')vaD ...} ... {lut legh 'e' Hech
> nuvpu''e'} is a relative clause used as a noun, and that noun wants a -vaD
> suffix: "for people who intend to see the story": where should the -vaD go?

  "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> replied:-
> If you read the HolQeD interview with Marc Okrand on relative clauses ...
  HolQeD vol4 #2 pp5-6.

  Any use trying to find if Okrand will authorize this type of construction?
  *{lut legh 'e' Hech nuvpu''e'vaD}   for people who intend to see the story
  *{lut'e'vaD legh nuvpu'}   for the story which people see
  *{lut'e'vaD legh 'e' Hech nuvpu'}   for the story which people intend to see

Using two sentences seems to me to change the meaning somewhat: "for the story
which people intend to see" says which story out of several stories; but
"people intend to see the story; for the/that story" seems to me to imply that
there is only one story within the current area of discussion, and that the
first sentence is an aside.

Back to archive top level