tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 22:15:15 1996

Re: Hello.

At 09:41 AM 8/14/96 -0700, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>>Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:01:07 -0700
>>From: Robert Darke <[email protected]>
>
>>pablIj vIpojqangbe' 'ach QaQlaw' pablIj.
>>tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' soHtaHvIS batlh Daghaj.
>>Qapla' Daghajjaj.
>
>><translation - I hope ... I'm a newbie speaker, too>
>
>>I am not willing to analyze your grammar but your grammar is apparently
>>good.
>>While you are a student of Klingon you have honour.
>>May you have success.
>
>Also looks good (though "tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' SoHtaHvIS" is kind of
>long-winded).  Very good response!

You are right; it IS long-winded. :)

A good rule of thumb when translating to tlhIngan Hol is that if you are
yousing the "to be construction" and you had to turn a verb into a noun to
do it, there is probably a *better* way to say something--now, that isn't to
say that there is anything wrong with this translation... just tha some
people (like me :) ) wince when they see it.

Instead of trying to say "while you are a speaker of Klingon", why not just
say "while you are speaking Klingon":

        tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS

Or, more in keeping of the English translation you gave... "while you are
studying Klingon":

        tlhIngan Hol DaHaDtaHvIS

Please note that this is just a suggestion of an alternate translation...
what you had was perfectly grammatical, and I understood you clearly (which
is something I always like to see in a beginner's post!).  You can take it
or leave it, as you like. :)

>>yIn nI' Daghajjaj!  (< may you have a long life)
>
>I've always liked "nI'jaj yInlIj."
>
>~mark

This falls under the same concept:  if you have a verb which is being used
as either an adjective or has been nominalized, then you canprobably re-cast
the sentence to use the verb as a VERB, and it will be "neater".  Just my
$0.02...

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level