tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 10:04:42 1996

Re: Klingon-American :(

No, you're right, I should have pointed that this was my interpretation and
reading.

>A veng'a' is a "great city."  A city
>that's more city-like than most.  "Metropolis" might be a good translation
>for it

>This seems quite good.  The concept of changing it to something else is the
>way I understood it as well.  juH'a' = mansion  juHHom = cottage  juH tIn =
>big house  juH mach = small house.

Well, in another sense we are NOT changing it into something else.  It's
still a city, just a... greater city.  It seems to behave, in most of the
examples, like a fairly normal Terran augmentitive.  It may not be, but so
far it seems to be.  There happens to be a separate word in English for a
"veng'a'" (metropolis); there probably isn't one for "paq'a'."  That
doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist, it just isn't lexicalized.  A
metropolis isn't a "something else" from a city; it's a qualitatively
augmented one.  Your distintion of "-'a'" vs "tIn" and "-Hom" vs "mach" is
well-said and important; I think that's what you meant by "something else."
After all, we know that "Duy'a'" is an ambassador while "Duy" is an agent
or emissary... but I strongly doubt that this means that it's impossible to
have a physically large agent or a physically small ambassador!  Or that
slaves have to be bigger than ordinary servants (toy'wI''a'/toy'wI'),
masters larger than bosses (pIn'a'/pIn), commandants have to tower over
commanders (la''a'/la'), or cadets have to be puny next to soldiers
(mangHom/mang).

~mark

"She's a fine town!"
"Excuse me, Mr. Neeley, but it's a city.  It's the only city that's having
a World's Fair."

(or something like that.  From _Meet Me In St. Louis_.  A fine musical.
See it.)

Back to archive top level