tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 08 08:55:39 1996

Re: Something fun

ghItlh Clay P. Evans:
<<<
My question is: How would "I splurge, therefore I am" translate?

marqoS suggests:
<<<
jIje'qu'taH vaj jIH!
or
jIje'qu'taHmo' jIH!

I don't think you CAN use a pronoun by itself to mean "to be" in
the sense of "to exist". Okrand has been quoted in this list
(sorry, reference not handy) as saying he specifically wanted to
NOT have a verb "to be". When Paramount pressed him to come up on
the spot with a translation of "To be or not to be", he gave them
<taH pagh taHbe'> (it's on the back of the T-shirt from the
qep'a'! {grin}), so <taH> would be better. But why not <yIn>?:

        jIje'qu'taHmo' vaj jIyIn!

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
=> KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html <=

Back to archive top level