tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 07 07:33:39 1996

Re: KBLC: Like

  ghItlhpu' [email protected] (Mike Rowe)
(Subject: KBLC: Like):-
> I am composing a Haiku. I need some help here. I can't find how to express
> the concept of being like something. (like is listed as a verb, I assume as
> in "I like ice cream.") how would I express this idea. "Move like a ray of
> light": I have this so far: {vIH <like> wov tIH} ...

  {rur} = "he resembles".
  Here we again run into Klingon's apparent lack of an adverbizing suffix as
in "He wrote this book drunken<ly>".
  {paqvam ghItlhpu'}      he wrote this book
  {paqvam ghItlhpu' 'e'}      that he wrote this book (clause used as noun)
  **{chech paqvam ghItlhpu' 'e'} = "the (action of him having written this
book) is drunk" seems tempting, but I saw once that 'e' clauses can't be used
as subjects of verbs; and how to tell where the 'e' clause starts?.
  What comments on **{chech 'oH paqvam ghItlhpu' 'e''e'} = "the (action of him
having written this book): it is drunk"?
  **{paqvam ghItlhpu' 'e' chech} is noun-equivalent plus adjective, not a
complete sentence; is it near enough to be passable?
  Likewise "the act of him moving resembles a ray of light" wants to be **{tiH
wov rur <vIH 'e'>} (or {... yIvIH...} if he wanted imperative), but with
objections as above; or try **{tiH wov rur 'oH (yI)vIH 'e''e'}?

Back to archive top level