tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 07 07:03:01 1996

tlhIngan Hol chu' jIH

 > From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <ur-valhalla!cs.columbia.edu!shoulson>
 > Subject: tlhIngan Hol chu' jIH
 > Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 11:29:32 -0700

 >>*Randy* poghwIj

"Randy, my glove"? (Sorry, Randy; I know what you meant.)

 > Klingon isn't like Russian, where you indicate "is" by not having
 > anything; you need a verb of some kind for "is my name."  According to
 > the dictionary (section 6.3, page 68), the way this is done is with
 > pronouns:

 > *Randy* 'oH pongwIj'e'.

~mark, don't forget the new little trick Okrand threw in the {Qo'noS} S27
card:

{roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH}

Leaving aside the extraneous {roD} and {neH}, we get {'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu'}.
It seems reasonable that {jIHvaD *Qob* ponglu'} is a legit construction.  (I
don't necessarily *like* it as much as {*Qob* 'oH pongwIj'e'}, but there it
is.

 > Correct use of the verb "pong" is a perennial issue I think we should
 > avoid going into just here. :)

Oops.  <g>  Oh, well, there wasn't a KLBC header for me to remove.

|                         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj                          |
|                    tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'                     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701  E-mail: [email protected] |

... 8.735 - the cube root of the beast.

Back to archive top level