tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 11:26:36 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol chu' jIH

>Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 16:36:24 -0700
>From: Randal Lanning <[email protected]>

>nuqneH

Hey there.  I'm responding in English because, after all, you said you were
new at this, and the last thing you need is to puzzle through corrections
in Klingon.

I'm the List Grammarian here, handling beginners as well since our
Beginners' Grammarian is on vacation at the moment.

A comment on the subject first: "tlhIngan Hol chu' jIH"...  Doesn't quite
hold together.  It means "I am a new Klingon language" (which is fun, since
very few of our subscribers are actually languages).  I think you mean
"tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' chu' jIH" or something.  That right?

>tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vIHevpu'
>chu'bej net legh
>choja' vIQaghchugh

All quite good, though you should say "jIQaghchugh" (if I make a mistake),
since there's no object involved.  Also, it might make more sense to say
"tuja'" since you're addressing more than one of us (unless you meant
someone special)

>*Randy* poghwIj

Klingon isn't like Russian, where you indicate "is" by not having anything;
you need a verb of some kind for "is my name."  According to the dictionary
(section 6.3, page 68), the way this is done is with pronouns:

*Randy* 'oH pongwIj'e'.

>loD jiH
>wejmaH vagh ben jIbogh
>Qu'wIj ghuntaHwI'

Here too, "My task is a programmer..."  You need 'oH.  Argh, now you can
really wrack your brains: is your task a programmer?  Your task is that of
a programmer.  And so on and so on.  Maybe just "jIghuntaH" or "ghunwI'
jIH" or something.  More complex sentences might be clearer, but lets' keep
it simple.

>nong lutmey vIghItlhtaH

Verbs used adjectivally follow their nouns: lutmey nong vIghItlh[taH].  bIH
vIlaD vIneH.

>*Guitar* vIreH

>*IRC*vaD *naghloD* ghap *nagh* mupong 'ach tera'ngan Dalegh

Correct use of the verb "pong" is a perennial issue I think we should avoid
going into just here. :)

>batlh choghItlhchugh

Hmm.  Not sure I understand this adverbial with -chugh.  "If you(sing.)
write to me honorably..." then what?

Very good start!

~mark

Back to archive top level