tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 09:28:56 1996

Re: KLBC: Mr. Shoulson

>Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:15:55 -0700
>From: Robert Darke <[email protected]>

>> >*mark*, mu'mey 'ej 'aH qolIjDaq Sam'pu' ghoghlIj 'oH'a'
>>
>> Oog.  I wouldn't have understood this without your translation, I'm afraid.

>Yup. I don't understand it either, and I wrote the darn thing. Oh dear.
>Hmph. It is SOOOO DIFFICULT to remember all the rules, even when they're
>written down in a book in front of you. It's almost like I'd have to go
>through my creations and read every section of TKD each time. Eugh. I hope
>my memory kicks in soon.

Heh.  If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  Well, maybe not.  But
that's the nature of learning a new language, especially a rigid one like
Klingon seems to be.  You have to learn to think differently, so that the
rules are sort of built into your mode of thinking.

>> "realm of words and paraphernalia" would be "mu'mey 'aH je qo'"; remember

>The only section of TKD that seems to apply to noun-noun constructions is
>section 3.4 and that bit explains about using TWO nouns to convey the
>meaning of N1's N2 or N2 of the N1. I have no reference for what I
>frequently see with nouns (which without explanation just seems to be an
>anglocentric stringing together of nouns). I'll admit that the example above
>would actually work quite nicely as "words and paraphernalia's realm" or
>"realm of the words and paraphernalia" but I've seen quite a few examples
>where neither of the two forms would work nicely. Help !!

Um, like what?  It should be noted that the precise semantics of N1 N2 is
the matter of some discussion and debate among Klingonists, so you're not
alone in being confused.

>> >Mark, is it your voice located in your "realm of words and paraphernalia" ?
>>
>> Um, there is a little snippet of my voice in the "Klingon" page; also all
>> the Klingon phrases and pronunciation guides on the KLI home pages are my
>> voice.

>It's just that I would have pronounced some of the things differently and I
>needed some clarification of how "expert" the speaker was. Seeing as it's
>you I guess I need to buy the C-tlhIngan/P-tlhIngan tapes to help my
>pronounciation.

Well, you should get the tapes anyway, but (*toot* *toot*... sorry, that's
my own horn going off) I should note that my own pronunciation is actually
pretty good, according to Marc Okrand.  The first time we spoke, he had
heard me on a news program once and said that my pronunciation was the best
he'd heard so far, aside from his own (and the only reason for that was
because he was right by definition, and I wasn't).  I should note, though,
that my r's suck, in that I don't trill them.  Otherwise, you could do
worse than listening to the site.  Still, the tapes give you a lot more to
go on, and by Okrand at that.

Now I have to repack my ego so it fits in my cubicle.

~mark

Back to archive top level