tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 13:11:17 1996

Re: KLBC: Mr. Shoulson

> >*mark*, mu'mey 'ej 'aH qolIjDaq Sam'pu' ghoghlIj 'oH'a'
>
> Oog.  I wouldn't have understood this without your translation, I'm afraid.

Yup. I don't understand it either, and I wrote the darn thing. Oh dear.
Hmph. It is SOOOO DIFFICULT to remember all the rules, even when they're
written down in a book in front of you. It's almost like I'd have to go
through my creations and read every section of TKD each time. Eugh. I hope
my memory kicks in soon.

> "realm of words and paraphernalia" would be "mu'mey 'aH je qo'"; remember

The only section of TKD that seems to apply to noun-noun constructions is
section 3.4 and that bit explains about using TWO nouns to convey the
meaning of N1's N2 or N2 of the N1. I have no reference for what I
frequently see with nouns (which without explanation just seems to be an
anglocentric stringing together of nouns). I'll admit that the example above
would actually work quite nicely as "words and paraphernalia's realm" or
"realm of the words and paraphernalia" but I've seen quite a few examples
where neither of the two forms would work nicely. Help !!

> that to conjoin nouns you need the conjunction "je" (and not "'ej"), and
> that it FOLLOWS the nouns, and doesn't come between them.  Also, don't
> forget the ' in qo'.

Yup, yup and yup. I was quite tired when writing the phrase and my mind was
definately not on the job (excuse mode off...)

> Beyond which, "realm of words and parphernalia," while poetic, is
> absolutely opaque as an expression for "world-wide web page."

Yeah, I guess I was just trying to be clever. I must remember, "clever" is
for experts, "functional" suits me better !! :-)

> >Mark, is it your voice located in your "realm of words and paraphernalia" ?
>
> Um, there is a little snippet of my voice in the "Klingon" page; also all
> the Klingon phrases and pronunciation guides on the KLI home pages are my
> voice.

It's just that I would have pronounced some of the things differently and I
needed some clarification of how "expert" the speaker was. Seeing as it's
you I guess I need to buy the C-tlhIngan/P-tlhIngan tapes to help my
pronounciation.

> >|  68040@33MHz+21Mb+RetinaZ2+Zip100  |  pabmIj yIlughmoH jIjatlhHa'chugh   |
>
> "pabwIj", qar'a'?

Oh dear. What a bad day I was having ... that bit was copy-and-pasted out of
a text file I wrote that actually contains the CORRECT spelling. How I did
that I'll never know.

If that's the only thing wrong with the phrase then I'm quite pleased !! :-)

Qapla'

Rob

--

|      www.parallel.demon.co.uk      |          "Still a newbie!"          |