tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 07:04:41 1996

Word Borrowing in Klingon

In Digest 603, Anthony Appleyard asked:

>In the two big English to Klingon translation projects that I have heard of
>(Hamlet, and parts of the Bible), how often were the translators stuck for a
>translation of a word and had to resort to inserting the English word in
><angle brackets> or however they represented it?

In _Hamlet_, never --- but that was largely because we deliberately gave
_Hamlet_ a Klingon setting. (In _Much Ado_, I had to do so once, for 'picture';
I use *Hologhram* --- which I think is a plausible loan.) In _The Gospel
according to Mark_, rather more often, because I did not avail myself of the
option of a Klingon setting. Loanwords include 'camel', 'locust', 'honey,
'grape' (for *'grape' HIq*, 'wine'), and so on.

Incidentally, I do not think any of this is a legitimate argument for more
Klingon words. We need a Klingon for 'picture', perhaps (then again, I did make
do with things like rurwI' in _Hamlet_.) We don't need a Klingon for 'grape'.

--
NON ME TENENT VINCVLA NON ME TENET CLAVIS    STETIT PVELLA RVFA TVNICA SIQVIS
       Nick Nicholas      http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn   Linguistics

Back to archive top level