tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 04:57:55 1996

re: "any"

ghobe'.  {DIvI'Daq Holmey jatlhlu'} is a *sentence* that means
"languages are spoken in the Federation".  It can't be used as the object
of a verb unless you use {'e'}, and that still makes no sense here.
("Do you speak that languages are spoken in the Federation?")

The missing component is the type 9 verb suffix {-bogh}, meaning
"which"; it turns a sentence into a noun phrase.  Thus {DIvI'Daq Hol
jatlhlu'bogh} is a noun phrase meaning "a language which is spoken in
the Federation".  So you can now use it as the object of the verb
{jatlh}, like so:

DIvI'Daq Hol jatlhlu'bogh Dajatlh'a'?

-marqoS

Dave Yeung <[email protected]> writes:
\ :>My original and apparently unanswered question is: How do you say "Do you
\ :>speak any Federation language", in the sense of "any language spoken in
\ :>the Federation".
\ > Have you perhaps tried to ask the question _that_ way:
\ > DIvI'Daq jatlhlu' Hol Dajatlh'a' SoH
\
\ In other words, there isn't a simple way to say "any" and I have to
\ recast?  Okay.  I wanted to avoid {-Daq} because I thought it referred to
\ the entire sentence (thus: "In the Federation, do you speak..."), but in the
\ above it's pretty obvious that it refers only to the relative pronoun.  And
\ someone else pointed out that {DIvI'(Daq) Hol} can mean "a/the language
\ spoken in the Federation", which is English.  But based on your suggestion:
\
\ DIvI'Daq Holmey jatlhlu', wa' Dajatlh'a'?
\
\ Okay, this was what I was looking for.  Thanks.  qatlho'!  (Or as Picard
\ would say, Kadlo!)
\
\  dave yeung
\ {toD Duj 'oH toDuj'e'}
\ Courage is a ship to the rescue
\
\

--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level