tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 22:00:14 1996

re: "any"

:>My original and apparently unanswered question is: How do you say "Do you
:>speak any Federation language", in the sense of "any language spoken in
:>the Federation".
> Have you perhaps tried to ask the question _that_ way:
> DIvI'Daq jatlhlu' Hol Dajatlh'a' SoH

In other words, there isn't a simple way to say "any" and I have to
recast?  Okay.  I wanted to avoid {-Daq} because I thought it referred to
the entire sentence (thus: "In the Federation, do you speak..."), but in the
above it's pretty obvious that it refers only to the relative pronoun.  And
someone else pointed out that {DIvI'(Daq) Hol} can mean "a/the language
spoken in the Federation", which is English.  But based on your suggestion:

DIvI'Daq Holmey jatlhlu', wa' Dajatlh'a'?

Okay, this was what I was looking for.  Thanks.  qatlho'!  (Or as Picard
would say, Kadlo!)

 dave yeung
{toD Duj 'oH toDuj'e'}
Courage is a ship to the rescue