tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 18:10:55 1996

Re: wisdom

ghItlh qavan:
> He/she who knows not and thinks he/she knows is a fool shun him/her.
> He/she who does not know and knows he/she does not know is a student teach
> him/her.
> He/she who knows and knows he/she knows is wise learn from him.
>
> (or something like that)
I realize this may be slightly outside the proper scope of this list, but I
just want to make this brief comment.  The above is properly an ancient
Chinese proverb that runs as follows:
	He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.
		Shun him.
	He who knows not and knows that he knows not is simple.
		Teach him.
	He who knows and knows that he knows not all is sleeping.
		Wake him.
	He who knows and knows that he knows is learned.
		Learn from him.
	He who knows and knows that he knows not all is wise.
		Follow him.

Apologizing in advance for the disruption of topic, and giving a contemptuous
finger to all the flamers,
taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |