tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 08:28:22 1996

RE: nuqjatlh?

Robert Drake wrote:

>How can you have confidence in writing or
>speaking a language where your only true confirmation of correctness is
>asking people how wrong you are this time ...)

I believe that when I was leanring Spanish, I made a lot of mistakes (I still
do because I only got through a year and barely beyond present tense!)  I used
what I understood to be correct and "thankfully" there was someone there to
point out my misconceptions.  I learned and the next time I didn't make those
mistakes (there were always many more to make).

Take the criticism as a learning tool.  Asking others who have the answer is
one of the easiest ways to learn.  Our grammarian (and others) have said to
keep it simple.  Use short phrases and get familiar with those and branch out
as you feel more comfortable.

There are rules and there are examples -- learn them.

Learn by example and question things that you don't understand or feel
uncomfortable with.  There are many on the board who seem intolerant of
beginners, but you can't take offense.  You're only "inferior to those who
think they are superior to you" if you let them.

He/she who knows not and thinks he/she knows is a fool shun him/her.
He/she who does not know and knows he/she does not know is a student teach
him/her.
He/she who knows and knows he/she knows is wise learn from him.

(or something like that)

Keep plugging away and remember that because you are trying shows you have
strength and courage.

qavan!

Back to archive top level