tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 14:54:47 1996

nejwI'mey (was Re: Klingon CD)

>On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Will Martin wrote:
>> romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
>
>But doesn't this mean a probe that hunts and kills Romulans?  Or does
>that depend on context?
> ----------
> dave yeung

Think of it as the Romulans' hunter-killer probe (i.e. the one the
Romulans use) vs. one favored by assassins of another species.

If memory serves, we saw a verengan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI' on one of
the early Deep Space Nines (someone sent one of these Ferengi-manufactured
devices after Quark).

"Romulan hunter-killer probe" is also ambiguous in English. Are Romulans
the hunters or the hunted? But then, ambiguity makes languages more
interesting, qar'a'?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level