tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 13:49:43 1996

Re: how to say "any"

T::>Jeff Zeitlin writes:
 ::>>[...]
 ::>>        {vulqangan Hol} is the language of Vulcans (the
 ::>>        inhabitants of Vulcan).
 ::>>[etc.]
 ::>>  This, of course, assumes that there is only one language (or
 ::>>  one official language) on a planet.

T::>Thus one might also be able to say {vulqan Hol} or {tera' Hol}, no?

 I don't feel that that would be "right".  It's the language of
 the _inhabitants_, not of the planet - the last time I checked,
 none of the listed planets spoke - they were all inanimate
 balls of rock, with admixtures of metal, and a thin coating of
 more complex compounds.

 What you've done is translated an English idiom into {tlhIngan
 Hol}.  Discussion here would tend, if I am understanding the
 more experienced members, to indicate that doing so does not
 result in {tlhIngan Hol} the way a {tlhIngan} would think it.

Jeff Zeitlin                                      [email protected]
---
 � OLXWin 1.00b � Physical reality is consistent with universal laws.

Back to archive top level