tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 14:22:37 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

>>>I saw {*ghaHDaq Har} for "believe in him" in a Klingon translation
>>>of a  portion of the Bible, John 3:16 if I remember correctly, in some
>>>newspaper a while ago.  (The translation was done by someone I think the
>>>people here called "the unmentionable one"(?))

>Upon reflection, perhaps it was Joel Anderson.  While I doubt anyone would
>call him "unmentionable"

qatlho'qu'!!!

> (as he's a regular poster to the list),

'ej "card carrying member of the KLI" jIH!!!!!

>it does seem closer to his style than to Glen's, and after all,

toH!  "Style" vIghaj'a'?

> I don't remember
> for certain who said it.  Joel, is it yours?

ghobe'.

While I appreciate the special near brush with infamy, I
cannot claim this translation.  To the best of my knowledge,
I've never translated John 3.16 into tlhIngan Hol, as dear as the
verse may be to me.

And while I'm fond of flingin the -Daq suffix in places, I can't picture saying
ghaHDaq... I'd be more likely to say Davoq,
or DaHar for "you believe in him" .