tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 01 10:28:44 1996

Legal Question (in English)

This messsage is in English, but it is about tlhIngan Hol, and I'm hoping
that the powers-that-be will be able to provide some guidance on this
question.

Let me suggest a hypothetical situation:

     Suppose that in a year or three I feel confident enough about my
knowledge of tlhIngan Hol to teach a class on it.  I work at a
university, so possibly I could do it there, or I'm sure that I could do
it through the local Department of Recreation, where I have taught other
classes before.

     Both institutions usually charge a fee of some kind, in order to
take classes.  Sometimes, I even get paid a (very small) stipend for
teaching the class.

     Does a class in which a fee is charged to attend violate Paramount's
copyright?  What are the guidelines for this kind of thing?  What should
be done or not done to avoid giving Paramount's very enthusiastic lawyers
any reason to get excited?

Thomas M. Zeman                         " reH nuHmey tu'lu' "

(Former!) Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  0145FDE5  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level