tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 07:34:32 1995

Re: More on "Which?"

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 03:43:04 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>'Iv targh DaHoHta'

>literally = Whose targ did you kill?

>idiomatically???:  Which targ did you kill?

>Naturally, <'Iv Noun> may not work universally, but I thought I'd throw it
>into the bubbling cauldron to stir things up a bit more.

The trouble is that "whose targh" is such a useful and common meaning that
I can't see it overshadowed with an idiomatic meaning.  If it meant "which
targh", then what would people use for "whose targh"?  Possibly "targh nuq"
or "qama'pu' 'Iv" (for "who of the prisoners"/"which prisoner"), but I
can't see using preposed question-words as "which" determiners.  They're
too useful in their literal meanings.

~mark

Back to archive top level