tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 07:31:59 1995

Re: More on "Which?"

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 03:19:45 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>Evidence:

>nuqDaq = what site/location = where?

Evidence for what?  Sending a flurry of two-line comments is confusing
enough; at least give a little context!

If you're looking for evidence of a prefixed "nuq" for "which", I don't buy
it.  Not from this.  "nuq" is plainly used as a *pronoun* throughout all
the Klingon we've seen, not a preposed determiner (as you keep trying to
use it).  It seems to mean "what thing" (Welsh pa beth) and not the
determiner "which" (Welsh pa).

As to the construction of "nuqDaq", it looks to me not like a putative
determiner "nuq" plus the noun "Daq", but like the *pronoun* "nuq" plus the
*noun suffix* "-Daq" (note that nuqDaq is in the main dictionary, but the
noun-form of Daq doesn't appear until the addendum).  Thus, "where" equals
"at the location of what [thing]."  This sounds too restrictive, but isn't.
A question "nuqDaq" expects to be answered with something else with -Daq:
some *noun* in locative.  Compare Lojban "vi ma" and "ca ma" for "where"
(close to what) and "when" (during what).

So, no, I don't think this is evidence.  Assuming I'm guessing right as to
what you mean.

~mark

Back to archive top level