tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 13:33:17 1995

Downtime -- The plan.

Hokay, here we go. This will likely be the last message you'll see from
me for the next good while. This is being sent to lists I run, and various
other people that are interested. Ignore anything that doesn't belong to
you.

Assuming everything goes as planned, here's how my move is going to go.

My last day at my current job is June 30th. I plan to remove my computers
from their offices (and thus, from the internet) sometime on July 1,
probably early afternoonish.

My movers come on July 5. I'll be kinda around during that time, but
not really -- Too much to do, too little time.

Currently, my plane tix to California are scheduled for the 8th, and I'm
scheduled to move into my apartment on June 10th, assuming that I get the
thing (I've still gotta wait on the credit check, and other fun things). I
expect my belongings to arrive within a day or two.

Once that is done, one of my top few priorities will be getting my machines
back online. For the short term, I'll be getting a low-speed (28.8) leased
line to my apartment as soon as I can after I get there -- Hopefully, I
can manage this with a one-week timeframe.

Once that's done, I'll bring things back online, with somewhat crippled
functionality -- The web servers will be available (though I may remove
some of the graphics temporarilly to preserve bandwith), and the mailing
lists and MUSHes will be online. FTP from any of the machines will NOT be
available, however.

Email to any of the machines (lupine.org, elfquest.com, kli.org) will not
bounce in the downtime, but will not be delivered until the machines return.

I anticipate having a 128k or ISDN line run within 1 - 2 months of my
arrival in California, which should take care of any bandwith problems...
and on a 28.8 line, there will be bandwith problems, I promise.

If anyone needs to send me "emergency" email, my email address for the
time my machines are down will be: [email protected]. DO NOT write to
ask when things will be back up.

Any in the northern jersey area (or who wants to drive there) is welcome
to come take Sarah and I out to dinner before we go. :)

I hope this answers everyone's questions, concerns, etc. If it doesn't...
Well, read it over and over again until it makes sense.

									-WW

Back to archive top level